Math Help Centre
The Department of Geography & Planning runs a Math Help Centre for students taking undergraduate courses offered by the department. There will also be refresher workshops that cover basic math skills and use of Excel.
TA’s will be available to help refresh and explain math concepts and techniques that may come up in lectures, readings or assignments. This includes working with formulas, graphing data, completing calculations, and so forth. It does not matter how basic your questions are! No appointment is required, just drop by. There is table and couch seating available in the room, allowing students to get math help as they work through assignments.
Location: The Math Help Centre will be run in the Geography Lounge, located across from the elevators on 5th floor Sid Smith. It is a nice open room with big windows. The TA’s will be working with students around the tables in the back corner. If you drop by and the TA is working with another student, please let them know you also have a question.
The following schedule begins on Friday, Sept 20 and continues every week until Friday, Oct 25. An updated schedule will be posted for November/December.
- Mondays, 1:30-4:30
- Tuesdays, 1:30-4.30
- Wednesdays, 11:30-2:30
- Thursdays, 10:30-1:30
- Fridays, 11:30-1:00
TA’s will be available during the above times for answering math’y questions that might come up as you work on assignments, read academic articles, review class notes and prepare for tests. Questions can be about how values are calculated, meaning of equations, interpretation of graphs, etc. Remember to bring your notes or textbook. That can help the TA’s better answer questions in the context of the course you are taking.
We will also offer two 50-min start-of-term workshops:
- Workshop #1 covers basic math that may come up in geography courses
- Workshop #2 focuses more on using Excel
We have worksheets for hands-on practice in a small group setting.
You don’t need to attend both. And no registration required. Just come to whichever sessions might be useful. If you are someone who gets nervous when asked to calculate rates of change, when you see a formula, when trying to use Excel, or if you feel uncertain on math you learned back in high school – these workshops are for you!!
Workshop #1: Math Basics Refresher
- Thurs, Sept 19 :: 11:10am-noon (SS 5016G – end of hall to left as exit elevators)
- Mon, Sept 23 :: 12:10pm-1pm (SS 5016G – end of hall to left as exit elevators)
- Tues, Sept 24 :: 2:10pm-3pm (SS 5064 – to right as exit elevators)
- Thurs, Sept 26 :: 11:10am-noon (SS 5016G – end of hall to left as exit elevators)
Workshop #2: Using Excel
- Mon, Sept 23 :: 1:10pm-2pm (SS 5016G – end of hall to left as exit elevators)
- Tues, Sept 24 :: 3:10pm-4pm (SS 5064 – to right as exit elevators)
- Weds, Sept 25 :: 3:10pm-4pm (SS 5064 – to right as exit elevators)
- Weds, Oct 2 :: 4:10pm-5pm (SS 5064 – to right as exit elevators)