William Gough, Professor
Vice-Dean, Graduate Education and Program Development, (UTSC)
U of T Scarborough
McGill University (1992)
MSc University of Toronto (1986)
BSc University of Waterloo (1984)
Phone: (416) 287-7245
Downtown Office: Room SSH5023 (100 St. George Street)
Personal Website: http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~gough/
- Mixing in ocean general circulation models
- Efficient design of computer experiments
- Passive tracer uptake during climate change scenarios
- Numerical considerations in ocean modelling
- Hudson Bay: Climate change impacts, air quality, paleoclimates
- Climate change and agriculture
- El Nino
- Gibraltar climatology
- Cheng, V.Y.S., G.B. Arhonditsis, D.M. L. Sills, H. Auld, M. W. Shephard, W. A. Gough, J.Klassen, 2013. Probability of tornado occurrence across Canada. Journal of Climate (in press).
- Mohsin, T. and W.A. Gough, 2013. Impact of climate change on the extremes of observed daily temperature data in the Greater Toronto Area. International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses (in press).
- Tam, B.Y., Gough, W.A., Edwards V., and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2013. The impact of climate change on the lifestyle and well-being of a First Nation community in the western James Bay region. The Canadian Geographer (in press).
- Jien, J. and W.A. Gough, 2013. Influences of Atlantic Hurricanes on Southern Ontario precipitation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI 10.1007/s00704-012-0824-6.
- Ford, J.D., McDowell, G., Shirley, J., Pitre, M., Siewierski, R., Gough, W.A., Duerden, F., Pearce, T., Adams, and S. Statham, 2013. The dynamic multi-scale nature of climate change vulnerability: An Inuit harvesting example. Annals of the American Association of Geographers, DOI:10.1080/00045608.2013.776880
- Xie, C., Gough, W.A., Tam, A. and T. Wu, 2013. Features and developmental environment of the permafrost on Mahan Mountains, Chinese Loess Plateau. Permafrost and Periglacial Processes, DOI: 10.1002/ppp.1776.
- Xie, C. and W.A. Gough, 2013. A simple thaw-freeze algorithm for multilayered soil using the Stefan equation. Permafrost Periglacial Processes, DOI 10.1002/ppp.1770.
- Tam, B.Y., Gough, W.A., Edwards V., and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2013. Seasonal and weather-related behavioral effects among urban Aboriginal participants, urban non-Aboriginal participants and rural Aboriginal participants. Population and Environment, DOI 10.1007/s11111-012-0183-3.
- Barbeau, C., Hori, Y., Gough, W.A., Karagatzides, J.D., McCarthy, D.D., Cowan, D, and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2012. The Potential Use of an Interactive Web-Based Informatics Tool to Decrease the Incidence of Human-Polar Bear Encounters Along the Western James Bay Coast of Ontario, Canada International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, 8(5), 113-127.
- Tam, B. and W.A. Gough, 2012. Examining Past Temperature Variability in Moosonee, Thunder Bay and Toronto, Ontario, Canada through a Day-to-Day Variability Framework. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 110:103-113.
- Hori Y., Tam B., Gough W.A., Ho-Foong E., Karagatzides J.D., Liberda E.N., and Tsuji L.J.S., 2012. Use of Traditional Environmental Knowledge to Assess the Impact of Climate Change on Subsistence Fishing in the James Bay Region of Northern Ontario, Canada. Rural and Remote Health, 12:1878 (online).
- Chambellant, M., Stirling, I., Gough, W.A., and S. H. Ferguson, 2012. Temporal variation in Hudson Bay ringed seal (Phoca hispida) life-history parameters in relation to environment. Journal of Mammology, 93(1): 267-281.
- Mohsin, T. and W.A. Gough, 2012. Characterization and estimation of Urban Heat Island at Toronto: impact of the choice of rural sites. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 108(1-2): 105-117.
- Tam, B., Gough, W.A. and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2011. The impact of warming on the appearance of furunculosis in fish of the James Bay Region, Quebec, Canada. Regional Environmental Change 11(1), 123-132.
- Mohsin, T. and W.A. Gough, 2010. Trend analysis of long-term temperature time series in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 101(3), 311-327.
- Laidler,G.J., Ford, J., Gough, W.A., Ikummaq, T., Gagnon, A.S, and Kowal, S , 2009. Travelling and hunting in a changing Arctic: Assessing Inuit vulnerability to sea ice change in Igloolik, Nunavut. Climatic Change, 94: 363-397.
- Ford, J., Gough, W.A.and Laidler, G.J., 2009. Inuit and scientific descriptions of sea ice extremes in northern Foxe Basin, Canada, and its implications for resource harvesting: The case of 2006. Climate Research, 38: 137-154.
- Ralph, T. and W.A. Gough, 2009. The Influence of Sea Surface Temperatures on Eastern North Pacific Tropical Cyclone Activity. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 95: 257-264.
- Stirling,I., Derocher, A., Gough, W.A., Rode, K., 2008. Response to Dyck et al. (2007) on polar bears and climate change in western Hudson Bay. Ecological Complexity 5:193-201.
- Gough, W.A., 2008. Theoretical considerations of day-to-day temperature variability applied to Toronto and Calgary, Canada data. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 94: 97-105.
- Steenhof, P.A. and W.A. Gough, 2008. The impact of tropical sea surface temperatures on various measures of Atlantic tropical cyclone activity. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 92:249-255.
- Gagnon, A.S. and W.A. Gough, 2006. East/West Asymmetry in Ice Thickness Trends over Hudson Bay, Canada, Climate Research, 32:177-186.
- Wu, Y., Gough, W.A., Jiang, T. and H.-T. Kung, 2006. The variation of floods in the middle reaches of the Yangtze River and its teleconnections with El Nino events. Advances in Geosciences, 6:201-206.
- Ho, E; and W.A. Gough, 2006. Freeze thaw cycles in Toronto, Canada, in a changing climate. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 83:203-210.
- Ho, E., Tsuji, L.J.S., and W.A. Gough, 2005. Trends in river-ice break-up data for the Western James Bay region of Canada. Polar Geography 29(4): 291-299.
- Gough, W.A., Hosseinian, R., and C. Robinson, 2005. The influence of James Bay river discharge on Churchill, Manitoba sea level. Polar Geography 29(3):213-223.
- Gough, W.A. and C. Houser, 2005. Climate memory and long range forecasting of sea ice conditions in Hudson Strait. Polar Geography 29 (1): 17 – 26.
- Gagnon, A.S. and W.A. Gough, 2005b. Trend and Variability in the Dates of Ice Freeze-up and Break-up over Hudson Bay and James Bay. Arctic, 58(4): 370-382.
- Gagnon, A.S. and W.A. Gough, 2005a. Climate change scenarios for the Hudson Bay region: An intermodel comparison. Climatic Change 69: 269-297.
- Gough, W.A., Cornwell, A.R., and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2004. Trends in seasonal sea ice duration in southwestern Hudson Bay. Arctic, 57: 299-305.
- Gough, W.A., Gagnon, A.S. and H.P. Lau, 2004. Interannual variability of Hudson Bay ice thickness. Polar Geography 28(3): 222-238.
- R. Jayasinghe, L.J.S. Tsuji, W.A. Gough, J.D. Karagatzides, D. Perera, and E. Nieboer, 2004. Determining the background levels of bismuth in tissues of wild game birds: a first step in addressing the environmental consequences of using bismuth shotshells. Environmental Pollution, 132 (1): 13-20.
- Carlson, J., Gough, W., Karagatzides, J. and L. Tsuji, 2003. Canopy interception of acid deposition in Southern, Ontario, Canada , Canadian Field Naturalist, 117 (4), 523-530.
- Laidler, G.J. and W.A. Gough, 2003. Climate variability and climate change: potential implications for Hudson Bay coastal communities. Polar Geography, 27: 38-58.
- Houser, C. and W.A. Gough, 2003. Variations in Sea Ice in the Hudson Strait: 1971 1999. Polar Geography, 27: 1-14.
- Wu, Y., Gough, W.A., Jiang, T.,Wang , X, Jin, W., 2003. The trend and fluctuation of historical floods in the middle reaches of the Yangtze River. J. Wuhan University of Natural Sciences, 8 (1A), 91-94. (English)
- Wang, Xue-lei, Gough, W.A., Wu, Yi-jin, 2002. Estimating the storage capacity of a typical region in the Jianghan Plain. J. Wuhan Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.), 48 (4 ), 461-465. (Chinese)
- Gough, W.A. and A. Leung, 2002. Hudson Bay permafrost, recent climate model results. Regional Environmental Change, 2, 177-184.
- Gagnon, A.S. and W. A. Gough, 2002. Hydro-climatic trends in the Hudson Bay region, Canada. Canadian Journal of Water Resources, 27,245-262.
- Gough, W.A., Lillyman, C.D., Karagatzides, J.D. and L.J.S. Tsuji, 2002: Determining the validity of using summer monitoring to estimate annual deposition of acidic pollutants in Southern Ontario, Canada. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 137, 305-316.
- Beaney, G. and W.A. Gough, 2002.The influence of tropospheric ozone on the air temperature of the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Atmospheric Environment, 36 (14), 2319- 2325.
- Gough, W.A. and E. Wolfe, 2001. Climate warming scenarios for Hudson Bay, Canada froma general circulation model. Arctic, 54, 142 -148.
- Kumar, A.J., Gough, W.A., Karagatzides, J.D., Bolton, K.A. and L.J.S.Tsuji, 2001: Testing the validity of a critical sulfur and nitrogen load model in southern Ontario, Canada using soil chemistry data from MARYP, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 69: 221-230.
- Gough, W.A., 2001. Model tuning and its impact on climate change response in Hudson Bay, a case study. The Canadian Geographer, 45, 300 – 305.
- Gough, W.A., and M. Lozinova, 2001. Ocean heat transport and a climate paradox, Atmosphere-Ocean, 39, 15 – 21.
- Hosseinian, R. and W.A. Gough, 2000. Stratospheric ozone trends and mechanisms over Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The Great Lakes Geographer, 7, 55-65.
- Gough, W.A. and C. Robinson, 2000. Tide gauge data and sea level variation in Hudson Bay, Canada Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, 32, 331-335.
- Gough, W.A. and T. Allakhverdova, 1999. Limitations of using a coarse resolution model to assess climate change induced sea-ice variability in Hudson Bay. The Canadian Geographer, 43, 415-422.
- Gough, W.A., 1998. Sea level change in Hudson and James Bays, Canada due to global warming. Arctic and Alpine Research, 30, 84-88.
- Gough, W.A. and T. Allakhverdova, 1998. Sensitivity of a coarse resolution ocean general circulation model under climate change forcing. Tellus, 50A, 124-133.
- Gough, W.A., 1997. Isopycnal mixing and convective adjustment in an ocean general circulation model. Atmosphere-Ocean, 34, 495-511.
- Gough, W.A. and C. Lin, 1995. Isopycnal mixing and the Veronis effect in an ocean general circulation model. J. Mar. Res., 53, 189-199.
- Gough, W.A. and W. J. Welch, 1994. Parameter space of the isopycnal version of the Bryan-Cox ocean general circulation model. J. Mar. Res., 52, 773-796.
- Gough, W.A. and C. Lin, 1992. The response of an ocean general circulation model to long time scale surface temperature anomalies. Atmosphere-Ocean, 30, 653-673.
- Lin, C. and W.A. Gough, 1990. Tracer distributions in ocean models with lateral and isopycnal diffusion. J. Mar. Syst., 1, 209-216.
- Gough, W.A. and C. Lin, 1987. Distribution of blocks in data fromthe Canadian Climate Centre general circulation model. Clim. Bullet. 21 (3), 3-15.
Climate Processes and Climate and Carbon Cycle Modelling