Virginia Maclaren, Associate Professor
U of T St. George
Cornell University (1984)
MS Cornell University (1980)
MPl University of Ottawa (1978)
BA Bishop's University (1974)
Phone: (416) 978-3378
Location: Room 5016A, Sidney Smith Hall (100 St. George)
- Waste studies
- Discard studies
Call For Students:
I look forward to working with master’s students who have interests in waste studies or discard studies. The research can focus on any type of waste (e.g. household waste, food waste, e-waste, textile waste, plastic waste).
- Li, B., Maclaren, V. and Soma, T. (in press) Urban Household Food Waste: Drivers and Practices in Toronto, Canada. British Food Journal.
- Ikiz, E., Maclaren, V., Alfred, E., Sivanesan, S. 2021. Impact of COVID-19 on Household Waste Flows, Diversion and Reuse: The Case of Multi-residential Buildings in Toronto, Canada. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 164, 105111.
- Soma, T., Li, B., Maclaren, V. 2020. Food waste reduction: A test of three consumer awareness interventions. Sustainability, 12(3), 1-19.
- Baxter, J., Maclaren, V., Bayne, J. 2020. How energy from waste (EFW) facilities impact waste diversion behavior: A case study of Ontario, Canada. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 158, 1-11.
- Baxter, J., Ho, Y., Rollins, Y., and Maclaren, V. 2016. Attitudes toward waste to energy facilities and impacts on diversion in Ontario, Canada. Waste Management, 50: 75-85
- Wang, C. and Maclaren, V.W. 2012. Evaluation of Economic and Social Impacts of the Sloping Land Conversion Program: a Case Study in Dunhua County, China. Forest Policy and Economics 14(1) 50-57.
- Hostovsky, C., Maclaren, V.W. and McGrath, G. 2010. The role of public involvement in environmental impact assessment in Vietnam: towards a more culturally sensitive approach. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 53(3): 405-25.
- Parizeau, K., V.W. Maclaren and Lay Chanthy. 2008. Budget sheets and buy-in: financing community-based waste management in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Environment and Urbanization 20(2).
- Nguyen, V. H., S. Kent and V. W. Maclaren. 2008. Shadow prices of environmental outputs and production efficiency of household-level paper recycling units in Vietnam. Ecological Economics 65: 98-110
- Mitchell, C., Parizeau, K. and Maclaren, V. 2017. Delivering and managing waste and sanitation services in cities. In A. Bain and L. Peake (eds) Urbanization in a Global Context. Toronto: Oxford University Press, 394-409.
- Maclaren, V. 2016. Waste. In Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (ed) Living City Report Card 2016. TRCA, Toronto, 19-23.
- Holden, M. and Maclaren, V. 2015. Urban Environmental Management and Resilience in Canada. In B. Mitchell (ed) Resource and Environmental Management in Canada, 5th ed. Oxford University Press, Toronto, pp. 424-449.
- Maclaren, V.W. 2014. Vital Signs: Toronto. In: Michalos AC (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands, , pp. 6956-58.
- Maclaren, V.W. 2010. “Urban Waste Management”. In B.Warf (ed.) Encyclopedia of Geography. Sage, Los Angeles, pp. 2978-81.
- Nguyen Quang Tuan and Maclaren, V.W. 2011. Community driven regulation, social cohesion and landfill opposition in Vietnam. In Kin Che Lam, Hayden Lisberel, Tung Fung (eds) Facility Siting in the Asia-Pacific: Perspectives on Knowledge Production and Utilisation, Chinese University Press, Hong Kong. pp.183-214.
- Maclaren, V.W. 2010. Waste management: moving up the hierarchy. In B. Mitchell (ed) Resource and Environmental Management: Addressing Conflict and Uncertainty, 4th ed. Toronto, Oxford University Press, pp.424-452.
- Maclaren, V.W. and Gad, G. (eds) 2010. Reflections on the History of Geography at the University of Toronto (Toronto: Department of Geography, University of Toronto) 100 pp.
Nature, Society and Environmental Change