Steven Farber, Associate Professor
U of T Scarborough
McMaster University (2010)
Personal Website: http://stevenfarber.wordpress.com
- Transport geography
- Spatial analysis
- Public transportation
Teaching This Academic Year:
- GGRC32H3 – Essential Spatial Analysis (Fall)
- CITC18H3 – Transportation Policy Analysis (Spring)
- TBA (Spring)
Call For Students:
Professor Farber is seeking MA and PhD students with interests in transportation geography and planning, social justice, accessibility, GIS and spatial analysis.
- Wessel, N., Allen, J. & S. Farber. “Constructing a Routable Retrospective Transit Timetable from a Real-time Vehicle Location Feed and GTFS”. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Ledsham, T., Farber, S. & N. Wessel. “Dwelling Type Matters: Untangling the Paradox Of Intensification And Bicycle Mode Choice”. Transportation Research Record. (Accepted).
- Farber, S. & M. Grandez. “Transit Accessibility, Land Development and Socioeconomic Priority: A Typology of Planned Station Catchment Areas in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area”. Journal of Transport and Land Use. (Accepted).
- Widener, M., Minaker, L., Farber, S., et. al. “How do changes in the daily food and transportation environments affect grocery store accessibility? Applied Geography.
- Farber, S. & L. Fu. “Dynamic public transit accessibility using travel time cubes: Comparing the effects of infrastructure (dis)investments over time”. Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems, 62, 30-40.
- Li, X. & S. Farber. “Spatial Representation in the Social Interaction Potential Metric: an Analysis of Scale and Parameter Sensitivity”. Journal of Geographical Systems, 18(4), 331-357.
- Farber, S., Ritter, B. & L. Fu. “Space-Time Mismatch between Transit Supply and Travel Demand in the Wasatch Front, Utah.” Travel Behaviour and Society, 4, 40-48.
- Farber, S., O’Kelly, M, Miller, H.J. & T. Neutens. “Measuring segregation using patterns of daily travel behavior: a social interaction based model of exposure.” Journal of Transport Geography, 49, 26-38.
- Fransen, K., Neutens, T., Farber, S., De Maeyer, P., Deruyter, G. & F. Witlox. “Identifying public transport gaps using time-dependent accessibility levels.” Journal of Transport Geography, 48, 176-187.
- Patterson, Z. and S. Farber. “Potential Path Areas and Activity Spaces in Application: A Review.” Transport Reviews, 35(6), 679 – 700.
- Farber, S., Ruiz, M. and A. Páez. “Testing for Spatial Independence Using Similarity Relations.” Geographical Analysis, 47, 97-120.
- Widener, M.J., Farber, S., Neutens, T. and M.W. Horner. “Spatiotemporal accessibility to supermarkets using public transit: an interaction potential approach in Cincinnati, Ohio.” Journal of Transport Geography, 42, 72-83.
- Liao, H. and S. Farber. 2014. “Compact Development and Preference Heterogeneity in Residential Location Choice Behavior: A Latent Class Analysis.” Urban Studies, (In press).
- Farber, S., Ruiz, M. and A. Páez. 2014. “Testing for Spatial Independence Using Similarity Relations.” Geographical Analysis, (In press).
- Farber, S., Neutens, T., 2014. Carrasco, J.A. and C. Rojas. “The Spatial Distribution of Face-to-face Social Interactions.” Environment and Planning B, 41, (In press).
- Farber, S., Bartholomew, K., Li, X., Páez, A. and K.M. Nurul Habib. 2014. “Assessing social equity in distance based transit fares using a model of travel behavior.” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 67, 291-303.
- Farber, S., Morang, M. and M.J. Widener. 2014. “Temporal Variability in Transit-Based Accessibility to Supermarkets.” Journal of Applied Geography, 53, 149-159.
- Neutens, T., Farber, S., Delafontaine, M. and K. Boussauw. 2013. “Spatial Variation in the Potential for Social Interaction: A Case Study in Flanders (Belgium).” Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 41, 318-331.
- Páez, A., Farber, S., Mercado, R.G., Roorda, M. and C. Morency. 2013. “Jobs and the Single Parent: An Analysis of Accessibility to employment in Toronto.” Urban Geography, 34(6), 815-842.
- Farber, S. and X. Li. 2013. “Urban Sprawl and Social Interaction Potential: an Empirical Analysis of Large Metropolitan Regions throughout the United States.” Journal of Transport Geography, 31, 267-277.
- Henry, K.A., Sherman, R., Farber, S., Cockburn, M., Goldberg, G. and A.M. Stroup. 2013. “The joint effects of census tract poverty and geographic access on late-stage breast cancer diagnosis in ten US States.” Health & Place, 21, 110-127.
- Widener, M.J., Farber, S., Neutens, T. and M.W. Horner. 2013. “Using Urban Commuting Data to Calculate a Spatiotemporal Accessibility Measure for Food Environment Studies.” Health & Place, 21, 1-9.
- Farber, S., Neutens, T., Miller, H. J. and X. Li. 2013. “The Social Interaction Potential of Metropolitan Regions: a Time-Geographic Measurement Approach Using Joint Accessibility.” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 103(3), 483-504.
- Mercado, R.G., Páez, A., Farber, S., Roorda, M. and C. Morency. 2012. “Explaining transport mode use of low-income persons for journey to work in urban areas: a case study of Ontario and Quebec.” Transportmetrica, 8(3), 157-180.
- Farber, S., Páez, A. and C. Morency. 2012. “Activity Spaces and the Measurement of Clustering: A Case Study of Cross-linguistic Exposure in Montreal.” Environment and Planning A, 44(2), 315-332.
- Páez, A., and S. Farber. 2012. Participation and desire: leisure activities among Canadian adults with disabilities. Transportation, 39(6), 1055-1078.
- Páez, A., Farber, S. and D. Wheeler 2011. “A simulation-based study of geographically weighted regression as a method for investigating spatially varying relationships.” Environment and Planning A, 43(12), 2992-3010.
- Farber, S., and A. Páez. 2011. “Running to stay in place: the time-use implications of automobile oriented land-use and travel.” Journal of Transport Geography, 19(4), 782-793.
- Farber, S., Páez, A., Mercado, R.G., Roorda, M. and C. Morency. 2011. “A time-use investigation of shopping participation in three Canadian cities: Is there evidence of social exclusion?” Transportation, 38(1), 17-44.
- Páez, A., Mercado, R.G., Farber, S., Morency, C. and M. Roorda. 2010. “Accessibility to health care facilities in Montreal Island: An application of relative accessibility indicators from the perspective of senior and non-senior residents.” International Journal of Health Geographics, 9(52).
- Farber, S. and A. Páez. “Spatial Analysis in Canada: Introduction. 2010.” The Canadian Geographer, 54(1), 1-3.
- Farber, S. and A. Páez. 2010. “Employment status and commute distance of Canadians with disabilities.” Transportation, 37(6), 931-952.
- Morency, C., Páez, A., Roorda, M., Mercado, R.G. and S. Farber. 2010. “Distance Traveled in Three Canadian Cities: Spatial Analysis from the Perspective of Vulnerable Population Segments.” Journal of Transport Geography, 19(1), 31-50.
- Páez, A., Mercado, R.G., Farber, S., Morency, C. and M. Roorda. 2010.”Relative accessibility deprivation indicators for urban settings: Definitions and application to food deserts in Montreal.” Urban Studies, 47(7), 1415-1438.
- Roorda, M., Páez, A., Morency, C., Mercado, R.G. and S. Farber. 2010. “Trip generation of vulnerable populations in three Canadian cities: a spatial ordered probit approach.” Transportation, 37(3), 525-548.
- Farber, S., Maoh, H. and P.K. Kanaroglou. 2009. “The Impacts of Urban Growth Policies on Transportation System Usage and Performance: A Simulation Approach.” Canadian Journal of Transportation, 3(1).
- Farber, S., Páez, A. and E. Volz. 2009.”Topology and dependency tests in spatial and network autoregressive models.” Geographical Analysis, 41(2), 158-180.
- Farber, S. and A. Páez. 2009. “My car, my friends, and me: An exploratory analysis of automobility and social activities.” Journal of Transportation Geography, 17(3), 216-225.
- Páez, A., Long, F. and S. Farber. 2008. “Moving window approaches for hedonic price estimation: An empirical comparison of modeling techniques.” Urban Studies, 45(8), 1565-1581.
- Farber, S. and A. Páez. 2007. “A systematic investigation of cross-validation in GWR model estimation: Empirical analysis and Monte Carlo simulations.” Journal of Geographical Systems, 9(4), 371-396.
- Farber, S. and M. Yeates. 2006. “A comparison of localized regression models in an hedonic house price context.” Canadian Journal of Regional Science, 29(3), 405-420.
- Yeates, M. and S. Farber. 2006. “Do malls affect property values? A GWR/GIS analysis.” International Journal of Management Cases, 8(3), 5-20.
- Farber, S. and A. Páez. 2011. “Mobility without accessibility: the case of car use and discretionary activities.” In K. Lucas, E. Blumenberg, and R. Weinberger (Eds.), Auto Motives? Understanding our car use behaviour. Emerald Group.
- Farber, S., Páez, A. and E. Volz. 2009. “Topology, dependency tests and estimation bias in network autoregressive models.” In A. Páez, J. Le Gallo, R. Buliung, and S. Dall’Erba (Eds.), Advances in Spatial Sciences. Springer-Verlag
Cities and Everyday Life