Rae L Jewett (they/them), Physical Geography PhD Candidate, Course Instructor
U of T St. George
Stroke and Primary Care in Ontario: Geography, Access and Health Policy
2017 - Master of Geographic Information Systems (MGIS) - University of Calgary
2012 - Bachelor of Science, Life Sciences (BSc), McMaster University
Feb 2020 - OCAP Certificate, First Nations Information Governance Centre
Nov 2019 - Knowledge Translation Workshop: Behavioural and Cognitive Theories in Implementation Science (Ottawa Hospital)
Honours & Awards:
2020-21 - Esri Canada, University of Toronto, Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science & Technology
2020 - UBC Centre for Health Services and Policy Research Conference – Poster Award
2019 - Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR) IPPH: Health System Impact Fellowship Doctoral Award (host org: Canadian Institute for Health Information)
2018 - Canadian Urban Environmental Health Research Consortium (CANUE), Travel Award
2018 - University of Toronto – Dept of Geography, John D. Barnes Geodetic Sciences Fellowship
2016 - Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR): Health Services and Policy Research Institute, Community Support
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute/McMaster University, Population Health Research Institute Studentship Grant
Dr. Michael Widener
Sidney Smith Hall, Rm 594
University of Toronto – St George
100 St George St.
Personal Website: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=Psqt-74AAAAJ
- health geography
- health services research
- spatial statistics
- multilevel modeling
- Geography/stats education and training methods
Teaching This Academic Year:
Course Instructor: GGR340 Health Geography
- GGR270H1F (Introductory Analytical Methods) UTSG
- GGRA30H3 (GIS and Empirical Reasoning) UTSC
- Jewett L, Mah SM, Howell N, Larsen MM. (2021). Social Cohesion and Community Resilience During COVID-19 and Pandemics: A Rapid Scoping Review to Inform the United Nations Research Roadmap for COVID-19 Recovery. International Journal of Health Services. Doi: 10.1177/0020731421997092. Available online spring 2021.
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Merlin, Centre for Rural and Northern Health Research. (2021). “Primary Health Workforce Planning in Northern Ontario: A Preliminary Model for Human Capital Planning”. Sudbury, ON. A Report to the Ontario Ministry of Labour. Internal Communications with Government of Ontario.
- SPOR Evidence Alliance (Atlantic). “The implementation of rapid point of care testing in non-traditional settings”. Halifax, NS. A rapid review for the Health Canada COVID-19 Testing and Screening Expert Advisory Panel. February 2021. Internal Communications with Health Canada.
- United Nations (UN). “United Nations Research Roadmap for the COVID-19 Recovery”. New York, NY. November 2020. Available from: https://www.un.org/en/pdfs/UNCOVID19ResearchRoadmap.pdf. Contribution: scoping review for Pillar 5: Social Cohesion and Community Resilience during COVID-19 and Pandemics.
- Bielska IA, Embrett M, Jewett L, Buote R, Manis DR, Parikh M, Speicher DJ, Agarwal G, Nartowski R, Finnegan H, Bandara T, Hamilton CB, Moore E, Liu RH, Roher SIG, Lopatina E, Nguyen DTK, Lawrence L, Lukewich J (2020: In press). Canada’s Multi-Jurisdictional COVID-19 Public Health Response – January to May 2020. Public Health and Governance/Zdrowie Publiczne i Zarządzanie; 18(1):88-105.
- Bielska IA, Manis DR, Schumacher C, Moore E, Lewis K, Agarwal G, Mondoux S, Jewett L, Speicher DJ, Liu RH, Leyenaar M, McLeod B, Upadhye S (2020). Health Sector Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Ontario, Canada – January to May 2020. Public Health and Governance/Zdrowie Publiczne i Zarządzanie; 18(1):106-120.
- Plue, R., Jewett, L., & Widener, M. J. (2020). Considerations When Using Individual GPS Data in Food Environment Research: A Scoping Review of ‘Selective (Daily) Mobility Bias’ in GPS Exposure Studies and Its Relevance to the Retail Food Environment. In Geospatial Technologies for Urban Health (pp. 95-112). Springer, Cham.
- Greenwood-Lee J, Jewett L, Woodhouse L, Marshall DA. A categorisation of problems and solutions to improve patient referrals from primary to specialty care. BMC Health Services Research. 2018 Dec;18(1):986.
- Lindsay MP, Jewett L, Michael D, Swartz RH, Kamal N. Putting Stroke Services on the Map – Using Geospatial Analysis for Stroke System Planning. International Journal of Stroke. 2018 Oct;13(1):58.
- Jewett L, Harroud A, Hill MD, Côté R, Wein T, Smith EE, Gubitz G, Demchuk AM, Sahlas DJ, Gladstone DJ, Lindsay MP. Secondary stroke prevention services in Canada: a cross-sectional survey and geospatial analysis of resources, capacity and geographic access. CMAJ open. 2018 Feb;6(1):E95-102.
- Holodinsky JK, Patel AB, Thornton J, Kamal N, Jewett L, Kelly PJ, Murphy S, Collins R, Walsh T, Cronin S, Power S. Drip and ship versus direct to endovascular thrombectomy: The impact of treatment times on transport decision-making. European Stroke Journal. 2018 Feb 14:2396987318759362.
- Jewett L, Mirian A, Connolly B, Silver FL, & Sahlas DJ (2017). Use of Geospatial Modeling to Evaluate the Impact of Telestroke on Access to Stroke Thrombolysis in Ontario. Journal of stroke and cerebrovascular diseases: the official journal of National Stroke Association.
- Barber CE, Jewett L, Badley EM, Lacaille D, Cividino A, Ahluwalia V, … & Levy D. (2016). Stand Up and Be Counted: Measuring and Mapping the Rheumatology Workforce in Canada. The Journal of Rheumatology, jrheum-160621.
- Lopatina E, Jewett L, MacDonald KV, James MT, Werle J, & Marshall DA. Changes in Quality of Care Associated with Centralization of Elective Orthopaedic Surgery Procedures: A Scoping Review. Value in Health 2016;19(3): A240.
- Jewett L, Sahlas DJ, Hill MD, Demchuk AM, Smith EE, Cote R & Lindsay P. A Geographic Comparison of Timely Patient Access to Stroke Prevention Sites Across Canada. International Journal of Stroke 2016;11:18-18.
- Barber CE, Jewett L, Ahluwalia V, Baillie C, Mosher D, Zummer M, … & Cividino A. Measuring the Rheumatologist Workforce in Canada: Preliminary Results of the Stand up and be Counted Survey. Arthritis and Rheumatology 2015;67.
- Barber C, Jewett L, Mosher DP, Baillie C, Ahluwalia V, Thorne C, et al. Stand Up and Be Counted. CRAJ 2014;24:6:11.
- Kutty S, Oakes GH, Jewett L, Pardhan AM, Forsey A, and Kingsbury K. Cardiac Care Network of Ontario Clinical Registry Data to Evaluate Proposed Stand-Alone PCI programs in Ontario. Poster presented at the 2014 National Cardiovascular Data Registry Conference, Washington, DC
- Dokainish H, Jewett L, Nieuwlaat R, Coulson J, Demers C, Lonn E, … & Connolly S. Gaps in Medical and Device Therapy for Patients with Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction: The EchoGap Study. Open Cardiovascular Medicine Journal 2014;8:94.
- Jewett L, Connolly BJ, & Sahlas DJ A Geoinformatic Analysis of the Impact of Telestroke on Access to Stroke Thrombolysis in Ontario. Stroke 2013;44(12):E179-E179.
- Harkness K, Heckman G, Jewett L, & McKelvie R. Self-Care in Heart Failure Index-Do Scores Change Over Time? Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2013;29(10):S403-S404.
- Khalifa A, Harkness K, Jewett L, & McKelvie R. Home Administered Lasix Therapy in Patients With Heart Failure and Chronic Congestion (HALT). Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2013;29(10):S387.