Michelle Buckley, Associate Professor
U of T Scarborough
University of Oxford (2012)
Location: Room HL520 (UTSC)
Downtown Office: Room SSH5027D (100 St. George Street)
- Critical urban theory
- Intersectional perspectives on work and employment
- Feminist political economy
- Migration, urban livelihoods and urbanization
- Economic geographies of real estate and the built environment
- Buckley, M. (2018) Between house and home: renovations labor and the production of residential value. Economic Geography 245-258.
- Buckley, M. (2018) Labour and the city: Some notes across theory and research. Geography Compass 12(10).
- Buckley, M. S. McPhee, and B. Rogaly (2017) Guest editorial: Labour geographies on the move: Migration, migrant status and work in the 21st century. Geoforum (78): 153-158.
- Buckley, M and K. Strauss (2016) In, against and beyond Lefebvre: planetary urbanization and epistemic plurality. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 34(4): 617-636.
- Buckley, M. (2014) On the work of urbanization: migration, construction labor and the commodity moment. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. 104(2): 338-347.
- Buckley, M. and A. Hanieh (2014) Diversification by urbanization: tracing the property-finance nexus in Dubai and the Gulf. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research.
- Buckley, M. (2013) Locating neoliberalism in Dubai: migrant workers and class struggle in the autocratic city. Antipode 45(2): 256–274.
- Buckley, M. (2012) From Kerala to Dubai and back again: migrant construction workers and the global economic crisis. Geoforum 43(2): 250-9.
- Buckley, M. (2009) Review: The Evolving Arab City, Yasser Elsheshtawy (Ed.) International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 33(4):1087-1088.
- Buckley, M. and Reid-Musson, E (2018) “Urbanization as a bordering process: non-citizen labour and precarious construction work in the Greater Toronto Area”, in Ward, K., A.E.G. Jonas, B. Miller and D. Wilson (eds) The Routledge Handbook on Spaces of Urban Politics. Routledge.
- Ogunyankin, G. and M. Buckley (2017) “Incremental and instant development: informal and spectacular urbanisms”, in Bain, A. and L. Peake (eds.) Urbanization in a Global Context: A Canadian Readers’ Guide. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Buckley, M. (2017) “Migrant Labor” in N. Castree, M. Goodchild, W. Liu, A. Kobayashi, R. Marston, and D. Richardson (eds), The Wiley-AAG International Encyclopedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment, and Technology.
- Buckley, M. (2015) “Construction Work, ‘Bachelor’ Builders and the Intersectional Politics of Urbanization in Dubai.” In A. Hanieh, A. Khalaf and O. El Shehabi (Eds.) Transit States: Labour, Migration & Citizenship in the Gulf. London: Pluto Press. Pp.132-152.
- Buckley, M., A. Zendel, J. Biggar, L. Frederikson & J. Wells (2016) Migrant Work & Employment in the Construction Sector. International Labour Organization, Geneva.