Jun Zhang, Associate Professor
U of T St. George
University of Minnesota (2007)
MS: Peking University (1998)
BS: Peking University (1995)
Phone: +1 (416) 978-2958
Location: Room 5025B, Sidney Smith Hall (100 St. George)
- Urban and regional economic development
- Geographic theorizing of markets, states, and institutions
- Geography of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Industrial globalization, localization, and restructuring
- Varieties and variegations of capitalism
- East Asia
Teaching This Academic Year:
- GGR400H1F Geographies of Markets
- GGR300H1S Remaking the Global Economy
Call For Students:
I’m looking for graduate students with a serious intellectual interest, specifically in economic geography, geographic political economy, and/or China.
- Zhang, Jun and Peck, Jamie 2014. Variegated capitalism, Chinese-style: Polyscalar constructions, Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2013.856514
- Zhang, Jun 2013. Marketization beyond neoliberalization: a neo-Polanyian perspective to China’s transition to a market economy, Environment and Planning A 45: 1605-1624.
- Peck, Jamie and Zhang, Jun 2013. A variety of capitalism… with Chinese characteristics, Journal of Economic Geography 13: 357-396.
- Zhang, Jun 2013. Related variety, global connectivity and institutional embeddedness: Internet development in Beijing and Shanghai compared. Regional Studies. DOI:10.1080/00343404.2011.622744
- Zhang, Jun 2012. From Hong Kong’s capitalist fundamentals to Singapore’s authoritarian governance: The policy mobility of neoliberalizing Shenzhen, China. Urban Studies 49: 2853-2871.
- Zhang, Jun 2011. The spatial dynamics of globalizing venture capital in China. Environment and Planning A 43: 1562-1580.
- Zhang, Jun 2009. Industry building as contested market building: knowledge, politics, and the rise of Beijing in China’s virtual economy. Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy 27: 632-646.
- Maringanti, Anant, Sheppard, Eric and Zhang, Jun (2009) Where is the Geography? World Bank’s WDR 2009. Economic and Political Weekly, XLIV, no. 29: 45-5
- Zhang, Jun 2008. China’s dynamic industrial sector: The Internet industry. Eurasian Geography and Economics 49: 549-568.
- Zhang, Jun 2006. Market transition, state connections and the Internet geography in China. China Review 6: 93-123.
- Zhang, Jun (forthcoming) “Venture Capital in China”, in Yu Zhou, William Lazonick, and Yifei Sun (eds.) China as An Innovation Nation, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Zhang, Jun (forthcoming) Entries on “Firms”, “Free Trade Zone”, and “Venture Capital”, in Wiley-AAG International Encyclopedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment, and Technology, edited by Doug Richardson, Noel Castree, Audrey Kobayashi, Mike Goodchild, Weidong Liu, and Dick Marston.
- Zhang, Jun 2014. “Global economic crisis and the ‘spatial fix’ of China’s world factory,” in Yildiz Atasoy (ed.) Global Economic Crisis and the Politics of Diversity, London & New York: Palgrave MacMillan, forthcoming.
- Zhang, Jun 2009. “Technology and regional development,” pp.171-176, in Rob Kitchin and Nigel Thrift (eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Elsevier.