Paul Hess, Associate Professor
U of T St. George
PhD Washington (2001)
Phone: (416) 978-4955
Location: Room 5067, Sidney Smith Hall (100 St. George)
Personal Website: http://faculty.geog.utoronto.ca/Hess/hess_home.html
- Pedestrian environments and design
- Planning for active transport modes
- Streets as public space
- Transport and equity
- Suburban form and development
- Planning history
- Planning systems, development control and urban form
- Paul Hess and André Sorensen. (forthcoming) “Compact, Concurrent, and Contiguous: Smart Growth and 50 Years of Residential Planning in the Toronto Region.” Urban Geography.
- Larsen, Kristian, Jason Gilliland, and Paul M. Hess. 2012. “Route-Based Analysis to Capture the Environmental Influences on a Child’s Mode of Travel Between Home and School.” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 102 (6): 1348–1365.
- Gilliland, Jason A., Claudia Y. Rangel, Martin A. Healy, Patricia Tucker, Janet E. Loebach, Paul M. Hess, Meizi He, Jennifer D. Irwin, and Piotr Wilk. 2012 . “Linking Childhood Obesity to the Built Environment: A Multi-level Analysis of Home and School Neighbourhood Factors Associated With Body Mass Index.” Canadian Journal of Public Health, 103(9), S15–S21.
- He, Meizi, Patricia Tucker, Jennifer D Irwin, Jason Gilliland, Kristian Larsen, and Paul Hess. 2012. “Obesogenic Neighbourhoods: The Impact of Neighbourhood Restaurants and Convenience Stores on Adolescents’ Food Consumption Behaviours.” Public Health Nutrition. 15(12): 2331–2339.
- Paul Hess. 2012. “Urban Density” in Encyclopaedia of Quality of Life Research, Springer. On-line publication. Forthcoming.
- He, Meizi, Patricia Tucker, Jason Gilliland, Jennifer D. Irwin, Kristian Larsen, and Paul Hess. 2012. “The Influence of Local Food Environments on Adolescents’ Food Purchasing Behaviors.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 9(12): 1458–1471. doi:10.3390/ijerph9041458.
- Paul Hess 2009. “Arterials or Avenues? The Struggle to Change Street Building Practices in Toronto, Canada.” Journal of Urban Design. Vol. 14. No. 1, pp 1-28.
- Larsen, K, Gilliland, J., Hess, P, Tucker, P, Irwin, J.,and Meizi He, M. 2009. “The Influence of the physical environment and sociodemographic characteristics on children’s mode of travel to and from school.” American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 99, No. 3, pp 520-526.
- Tucker, P., Irwin, J.D., Gilliland, J., He, M., Larsen, K., Hess, P. 2009. “Environmental Influences on Physical Activity Levels in Youth.” Health & Place. Vol 15. No. 1, pp 357-63.
- Frank, L.D., Sallis, J.F., Saelens, BE, Leary L., Cane, K, Conway, T.L., Hess, P.M. 2009. “The development of a walkability index: application to the Neighborhood Quality of Life Study.” British Journal of Sports Medicine (30):601-611.
- Paul Hess 2008. “Fronts and Backs: the use of streets, yards, and alleys in Toronto area New Urbanist neighborhoods” Journal of Planning Education and Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, 196-212.
- Paul Mitchell Hess 2005. Rediscovering the logic of Suburban Apartments” Places: A forum of environmental design. 17(2), 30-35.
- Paul Mitchell Hess, Anne Vernez Moudon, and Julie M. Matlick. 2004. “Pedestrian Safety and Transit Corridors.” Journal of Public Transportation. Vol 7, No. 2, pp 73-93.
- Anne Vernez Moudon, Paul M. Hess, and Julie Matlick. 2002.“Pedestrian Location Identification Tools: Identifying Suburban Areas with a High Latent Demand for Pedestrian Travel.” Transportation Research Record. No.1818, pp. 94-101.
- Paul M. Hess, Anne Vernez Moudon, and Miles Logsdon. 2001. “Measuring Land Use Patterns for Transportaion Research.” Transportation Research Record. No. 1780, pp 17-24.
- Anne Vernez Moudon and Paul Hess. 2000. “Suburban Clusters: The Nucleation of Multifamily Housing in the Suburban Areas of the Central Puget Sound Region.” Journal of The American Planning Association. Vol. 66, no. 3, 243-264.
- Paul M. Hess, Anne Vernez Moudon, Mary Catherine Snyder, and Kiril Stanilov. 1999. “Site Design and Pedestrian Travel.” Transportation Research Record. No. 1674, pp 9-19.
- Anne Vernez Moudon, Paul M. Hess, Mary Catherine Snyder, and Kiril Stanilov. 1997. “Effects of Site Design of Pedestrian Travel in Mixed-Use, Medium-Density Environments.” Transportation Research Record. No. 1579, pp. 48-55.
- Paul M. Hess. “Measures of Connectivity.” 1997. Places. Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 58-65.
- Buliung, R., Larsen, K., Hess, P., Faulkner, G., Rothman, L., Fusco, C. (forthcoming) “Driving to School: Child Safety andSocial Fear” in A. Walks (ed), Urban Political Economy and Ecology of Automobility, Routeledge.
- Paul Hess, Helen Huang, and Mirej Vasic. (forthcoming) “Automobility, adaptation and exclusion: immigration, gender, and travel in the auto-city,” in A. Walks (ed), Urban Political Economy and Ecology of Automobility, Routeledge.
- Graeme Stewart and Paul Hess. 2014. “Neighbourhood Planning: Smart Growth in the Context of the 1960s” in France Vanlaethem and Marie-Josée Therrien (eds), La Sauvegarde de l’Architecture Modern. Quebec: Presses de l’Université de Quebec.
- Paul M. Hess 2005. “Neighborhoods Apart: Site/Non-sight and Suburban Apartments” in Site Matters, Andrea Kahn, Carol Burns, editors. Routledge, 223-247.
Cities and Everyday Life