Minelle Mahtani , Associate Professor
U of T Scarborough
University College, London (2000)
Honours & Awards:
Fellow, Royal Canadian Geographical Society
President, Association of Canadian Studies
Director, Centre for Innovation in Diversity and Journalism
Massey College Senior Fellow
Phone: (416) 287-7302
Downtown Office: Room SSH5022 (100 St. George Street)
- “Mixed race” identity
- Media and minority representation
- Critical journalism
- Women of colour in geography
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2016. “Covering Immigration: Rodney Benson’s “Representing Immigration” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2014. “Toxic Geographies: Absences in Critical Race Thought and Practice in Social and Cultural Geography” Social and Cultural Geography 15 (4) pp. 359-367.
- Michelle LaFlamme and Minelle Mahtani. 2013. “Mixed Messages” Asian-American Literary Review Fall 2013 pp. 47-61.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2013. “The Geneologies of Racial Difference at Canadian Universities” Canadian Ethnic Studies 44 (2) 153-165.
- David Roberts and Minelle Mahtani. 2010. “Neoliberalizing Race, Racing Neoliberalism: Representations of Immigration in the Globe and Mail” Antipode 42 (2) 248-257
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2009. “Critiquing the Critiques About Media And Minority Research In Canada” Canadian Journal of Communication 34(4) 715-719.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2009. “The Racialized Geographies of News Consumption and Production: Contaminated Memories and Racialized Silences” GeoJournal: An International Journal on Geography 74 (3) June 2009 257-264.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2008. “Racializing the Audience: Immigrant Perceptions of Mainstream Canadian English Language TV News” Canadian Journal of Communication December 2008 33 (4) 639-661.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2007. “Spatializing Storytelling: Contemporary Post-Binary Geographies of News Discourse” Aether: A Journal of Media Geography 1(1) 31-33.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2006. “Challenging the Ivory Tower: Proposing Anti-Racist Geographies in theAcademy” Gender, Place and Culture 13(1) 21-25.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2004. “Mapping Gender and Race in the Academy: The Experiences of Women ofColor Faculty and Graduate Students in Britain, the US and Canada,” Journal of Geography in HigherEducation 28(1) 91-99.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2002. “What’s in a Name? Exploring the Employment of “Mixed Race” as an Ethno-Racial Identification,” Ethnicities 2(4) 469-490.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2002. “Tricking the Border Guards: Performing Race,” Environment and Planning D:Society and Space 20 425-440.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2002. “Interrogating the Hyphen-Nation: Canadian Multicultural Policy and “MixedRace” Identities” Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture 8(1) 67-90.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2002. “Women Graduate Students of Colour in Geography: Increased Ethnic andRacial Diversity, or Maintenance of the Status Quo?” Great Lakes Geographer 9 (1) 11- 18.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2001. “Representing Minorities: Canadian Media and Minority Identities” CanadianEthnic Studies 33 (3) 99-134.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2001. “Racial ReMappings: The Potential of Paradoxical Space” Gender, Place andCulture 8(3) 99-305.
- Dunn, Kevin and Minelle Mahtani. 2000. “Media Representations of Ethnic Minorities under Australianand Canadian Multiculturalisms” Progress and Planning 55(3) 119-172.
- Mahtani, Minelle, Danielle Kwan- Lafond and Leanne Taylor. 2014. “Exporting Multiculturalism: Mixed Race Identity and the Commodification of Multiracialism” in O’Riain, Rebecca King, Paul Spickard, Miri Song, Minelle Mahtani and Stephen Small (eds). Global Mixed Race. New York: NYU Press.
- Mahtani, Minelle and David Roberts. 2012. “Afterword: the Future of Asian Canadian Studies” in Coloma, Roland et al. (eds). Spectres of Invisiblity: Philipina/Canadian Studies. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2012. “Not the Same Difference: Notes on Mixed-Race Methodologies” in Rosalind Edwards, Suki Ali, Chamon Caballero and Miri Song (eds). International Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Mixedness and Mixing. London: Routledge. Pp. 156-169.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2009. “The Experiences of “Mixed Race Canadians” in Raj, Christopher and Marie McAndrew (eds). Multiculturalism: Public Policy and Problem Areas in Canada and India. New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University Press. Pp. 132-149.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2009. “Teaching for Diversity: Teaching for Inclusion” in Foote, Ken, Michael Solem and Jan Monk (eds). Aspiring Academics: A Resource Book for Graduate Students and Early Career Faculty. New York: Prentice-Hall. 121-135.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2008. “How are Immigrants Seen – and What do they Want to See? Contemporary Research on the Representation of Immigrants in the Canadian English-Language Media” in Biles, John, Meyer Burstein and James Frideres (eds). Immigration and Integration in Canada. Kingston/Montreal: McGill-Queens University Press Policy Series. 231-253.
- Mahtani, Minelle, Frances Henry and Carol Tator. 2008. Representing Race: Are Canadian News Media Racist?” Discourse, Ideology and Constructions of Racial Inequality” in Greenberg, Joshua and Charlene Elliott (eds). Communication in Question. Toronto: Thomson-Nelson. 120-131.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2005. “Mixed Metaphors: Situating Mixed Race Identity,” in Lee, Jo-Ann and and John Lutz (eds), Situating “Race” and Racisms in Space, Time and Theory. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press. 77-93.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2005. “Gillian Rose” in Hubbard, Phil, Rob Kitchin and Gill Valentine (eds). Key Thinkers on Space and Place. London: Sage. 231-236.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2005. “David Sibley” in Hubbard, Phil, Rob Kitchin and Gill Valentine (eds). Key Thinkers on Space and Place. London: Sage. 258-264.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2005. “Judith Butler” in Hubbard, Phil, Rob Kitchin and Gill Valentine (eds). Key Thinkers on Space and Place. London: Sage. 65-71.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2005. “Gendered News Practices: The Experiences of Women Journalists in Different National Contexts” in Allan, Stuart (ed). Journalism: Critical Issues. London: Open University Press/McGraw-Hill publishers. 299-310.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2001. “Mapping the Meanings of “Racism” and “Feminism” among Women TelevisionBroadcast Journalists in Canada” in Twine, France Winddance and Kathleen Blee (eds). Feminism andAnti-Racism: International Struggles. New York: New York University Press. 349-366.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2001. “I’m A Blonde-Haired, Blue-Eyed Black Girl: Mapping Mobile ParadoxicalSpaces” in Parker, David and Miri Song (eds). Rethinking Mixed Race. London: Pluto. 173-190.
- Mahtani, Minelle and April Moreno. 2001. “Same Difference: Towards a More Unified Discourse inMixed Race Theory” in Parker, David and Miri Song (eds). Rethinking Mixed Race. London: Pluto.65-75.
- Mahtani, Minelle and Scott Salmon. 2000. “Site Reading?: Globalization, Identity, and the Consumption of Place in Popular Music” in Harrington, Lee and Denise D. Bielby (eds). Popular Culture: Production and Consumption. London: Blackwell. 165-179.
- Mahtani, Minelle. 2014. Mixed Race Amnesia: Resisting the Romanticization of Multiraciality in Canada. Vancouver: UBC Press.