Laura Brown, Assistant Professor
U o f T Mississauga
University of Waterloo (2012)
MSc York University (2004)
HBSc York University (2001)
Certificate in GIS and Remote Sensing – York University (2001)
Office: DV3279 (UTM)
Personal Website: http://sites.utm.utoronto.ca/brown/
- Climate – Lake ice interactions
- Remote sensing and numerical modelling
Teaching This Academic Year:
GGR484 / GGR1217 Arctic Environments
GGR384 Climatology of Canadian Landscapes
GGR379 Field Methods in Physical Geography
GGR214 Global Weather and Climate
- Gunn, G. E., Duguay, C.R., Brown, L.C., King, J., Atwood, D., Kasurak, A. Freshwater Lake Ice thickness Derived Using X- and Ku-band FMCW Scatterometers in the Hudson Bay Lowlands Near Churchill, Manitoba. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 120, December 2015, 115–126
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2015. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2014”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 96 (7), S144-S145
- Surdu, C.M., Duguay, C.R. , Kheyrollah Pour, H., Brown, L.C, 2015. Ice Freeze-up and Break-up Detection of Shallow Lakes in Northern Alaska with Spaceborne SAR. Remote Sensing. May 18, 2015 http://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/7/5/6133/html.
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2014. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2013”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 95 (7).
- Svacina, N.A., Duguay, C.R, Brown, L.C. Modelled and satellite-derived surface albedo of lake ice – Part I: Evaluation of the albedo parameterization scheme of the Canadian Lake Ice Model. Hydrological Processes, Article first published online: 8 JUL 2014. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10253
- Macrae, L.C. Brown, C.R. Duguay, J.A. Parrott and R.M. Petrone. 2014. Observed and projected climate change in the Churchill region of the Hudson Bay Lowlands and implications for pond sustainability. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, 46(1), 272-285.
- Brown, L.C., Howell, S.E.L., Mortin, J., Derksen, C. 2014. Evaluation of the Interactive Multisensor Snow and Ice Mapping System (IMS) for monitoring sea ice phenology. Remote Sensing of Environment, Volume 147, 5, 65–78.
- Duguay, C.R., Brown, L.C, Kang, K.K, Kheyrollah Pour, H. 2013. Lake ice [in Arctic Report Card 2013], http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/lake_ice.html.
- C.M. Surdu, C.R. Duguay, L.C. Brown, and D. Fernàndez-Prieto. 2014. Response of ice cover on shallow lakes of the north slope of Alaska to contemporary climate conditions (1950-2011): radar remote sensing and numerical modeling data analysis. The Cryosphere, 8 (1), 167-180.
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2013. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2012”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 94(8): S124-S126.
- Brown, L.C. and Duguay, C.R. 2012. Modelling lake ice phenology with sub-grid cell variability. Advances in Meteorology, volume 2012, 529064, 19 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/529064.
- Duguay, C., Brown, L, Kang, K, Kheyrollah Pour, H. 2012. [The Arctic] Lake Ice [in “State of the Climate 2011] Bulletin of the American Meteorology Society, 93(7), S138-S140.
- C. Derksen, S.L. Smith, M. Sharp, L. Brown, S. Howell, L. Copland, D. Mueller, Y. Gauthier, C. Fletcher, A. Tivy, M. Bernier, J. Bourgeois, R. Brown, C.R. Burn, C. Duguay, P. Kushner, A. Langlois, A.G. Lewkowicz,. A. Royer, and A. 2012. Walker, Variability and Change in the Canadian Cryosphere. Climatic Change, Volume 115, Issue 1, pp 59-88, DOI: 10.1007/s10584-012-0470-0.
- Kheyrollah Pour, H, Duguay, C.R., Martynov, A., Brown, L.C. 2012. Simulation of surface temperature and ice cover of large northern lakes with 1-D models: A comparison with MODIS satellite data and in situ measurements. Tellus A, 64, 17614, DOI: 10.3402/tellusa.v64i0.17614.
- Duguay, C.R., Brown, L.C, Kang, K.K, Kheyrollah Pour, H. 2011. Lake ice [in Arctic Report Card 2011], http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/lake_ice.html.
- Brown, L.C. and Duguay C.R. The fate of lake ice in the North American Arctic. 2011. The Cryosphere, 5, 869- 892, 2011, www.the-cryosphere.net/5/869 doi:10.5194/tc-5-869-2011.
- Brown, L.C. and Duguay, C.R. 2011. A comparison of simulated and measured lake ice thickness using a Shallow Water Ice Profiler. Hydrological Processes 25 (19), 2932-2941. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8087.
- Brown, L.C., and Duguay, C.R. 2010. The response and role of ice cover in lake-climate interactions. Progress in Physical Geography, 34(5), 671-704. DOI: 10.1177/0309133310375653.
- Howell, S.E.L., Brown, L.C., Kang, K.K., and Duguay, C.R. 2009. Variability in Ice Phenology on Great Bear Lake and Great Slave Lake, NWT, from SeaWind/QuikSCAT: 2000-2006. Remote Sensing of the Environment 113(4), 816-834. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2008.12.007
- Brown, L., Thorne, R., and Woo, Mk. 2008. Using Satellite Imagery to Validate Simulated Snow Distribution in Large Northern Basins. Hydrologic Processes 22(15), 2777- 2787.
- Brown, L. and Young, K.L. 2006. Assessment of mapping techniques to delineate lakes and ponds in a Canadian High Arctic wetland complex. Arctic 59(3), 283-293.
- Woo, M.k., Young, K.L. and Brown, L. 2006. High Arctic patchy wetlands: Hydrologic variability and their sustainability. Physical Geography 27(4), 297-307.
- Contributing Author to: Bush, E.J., Loder, J.W., James, T.S., Mortsch, L.D. and Cohen, S.J. 2014. An Overview of Canada’s Changing Climate; In Canada in a Changing Climate: Sector Perspectives on Impacts and Adaptation, (ed.) F.J. Warren and D.S. Lemmen; Government of Canada, Ottawa, ON, p. 23-64.
- Woo, M.k., Young, K.L., Brown, L. 2011. Wetlands of the Canadian Arctic and the potential effects of climatic warming. In J.A.A. Jones (ed.) Water Sustainability: A Global Perspective, Hodder Education, London.