Kathleen Wilson, Professor
U o f T Mississauga
Queen's University (2000)
Phone: (905) 828-3864
Location: SB3111 (UTM)
Downtown Office: Room SSH5023 (100 St. George Street)
Personal Website: http://sites.utm.utoronto.ca/kwilson/
- Aboriginal health
- Neighbourhoods and health
- Access to health care
- Soller, L., Ben-Shoshan, M., Harrington, D.W., Knoll, M., Fragapane, J., Joseph, L., St. Pierre, Y., La Vielle, S., Wilson, K., Elliott, S.J., and Clarke, A.E. 2015. Adjusting for nonresponse bias corrects overestimates of food allergy prevalence. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice 3(2): 291-293.
- Mukhtar, M., Dean, J., Wilson, K., Ghassemi, E., and Wilson, D.H. 2015. “But many of these problems are about funds…”: The challenges immigrant settlement agencies (ISAs) encounter in a suburban setting in Ontario, Canada. Journal of International Migration and Integration DOI 10.1007/s12134-015-0421-5.
- Soller, L., Ben-Shoshan, M., Harrington, D.W., Knoll, M., Fragapane, J., Joseph, L., St. Pierre, Y., La Vielle, S., Wilson, K., Elliott, S.J., and Clarke, A.E. 2015. Prevalence and predictors of food allergy in Canada: a focus on vulnerable populations. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in Practice 3(1): 42-49.
- Ben-Shoshan, M., Soller, L., Harrington, D.W., Knoll, M., La Vieille, S., Fragapane, J., Joseph, L., St. Pierre, Y., Wilson, K., Elliott, S.J., and Clarke, A.E. 2015. Eczema in early childhood, sociodemographic factors and lifestyle habits are associated with food allergy: A nested case-control study. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 166:199-207.
- Harrington, D.W., Dean, J., Wilson, K., and Qamar, Z. 2014. “We don’t have such a thing, that you may be allergic”: Newcomers’ understandings of food allergies in Canada. Chronic Illness pii.
- Harrington, D.W., Rosenberg, M.W., and Wilson, K. 2014. Comparing health status and access to health care in Canada’s largest metropolitan areas. Urban Geography 35(8): 1156-1170.
- Harrington, D.W., Rosenberg, M.W., and Wilson, K. Waiting for a specialist consultation in Ontario: Impacts of patients’ lives. 2014. Healthcare Policy 9(4): 90-103.
- Shah, T.I., Bell, S., and Wilson, K. 2014. Geocoding for public health research: Empirical comparison of two geocoding services applied to Canadian cities. The Canadian Geographer 58(4): 400-417.
- Leydon, J., Wilson, K., and Boyd, C. 2014. Improving student writing abilities in Geography: Examining the benefits of criterion-based assessment and detailed feedback. Journal of Geography 113: 151-159.
- J. Randall, P. Kitchen, N. Muhajarine, B. Newbold, A. Williams, and K. Wilson. 2014. Immigrants, islandness and perceptions of quality-of-life on Prince Edward Island, Canada. Island Studies Journal 9(2): 343-362.
- Soller, L., Ben-Shoshan, M., Harrington, D.W., Knoll, M., Fragapane, J., Joseph, L., St. Pierre, Y., La Vielle, S., Wilson, K., Elliott, S.J., and Clarke, A.E. 2014. Likelihood of being prescribed an epinephrine autoinjector in allergic Canadians with lower educational levels. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 113(3): 326-329.
- D. Harrington, K. Wilson, S. Elliott, and A. Clarke. 2013. Diagnosis and treatment of Food allergies in off-reserve Aboriginal children in Canada. The Canadian Geographer. 57(4): 431-440.
- D. Harrington, Wilson K, Rosenberg M, Bell S. 2013. Access Granted! Barriers Endure: Determinants of difficulties accessing specialist care when required in Ontario, Canada. BMC Health Services Research, 13:146. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-13-146.
- L. Senese and K. Wilson. 2013. Aboriginal urbanization and rights in Canada: Examining implications for health. Social Science and Medicine 91:219-28.
- J. Dwyer, K. Wilson, L. Limarzi, B. Callaghan, and L. Croskery. 2012. Physical activity among female adolescents of Indian and Polish irigin in Mississauga, Ontario: An examination of Shared and ethno-cultural barriers. Physical & Health Education Academic Journal, 4(3), 1-14.
- M. Snyder and K. Wilson. 2012. Urban Aboriginal mobility in Canada: Examining the association with health care utilization. Social Science and Medicine. 75(12), 2420-2424.
- Knoll, M., Soller, L., Ben-Shoshan, M., Harrington, D., Fragapane, J., Joseph, L., La Vieille, S., St-Pierre, Y., Wilson, K., Elliott, S., and Clarke, A. 2012. The use of incentives in vulnerable populations for a telephone survey: A randomized controlled trial, 5:572, 2012 BMC Research Notes
- Ning and K. Wilson. 2012. A research review: exploring the health of Canada’s Aboriginal youth. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 71, 2012, 18497 – http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v71i0.18497
- D. Harrington, K. Wilson, S. Bell, N. Muhajarine, and J. Ruthart. 2012. Realizing neighbourhood potential? The role of the availability of health care services on contact with a primary care physician. Health and Place 8(4), 814-23
- L. Bissonnette, K. Wilson, S. Bell and T. Shah. Neighbourhoods and potential access to health care: The role of spatial and aspatial factors. Health and Place 18(4), 2012, 841-53
- S. Bell. K. Wilson, T. Shah, and L. Bissonnette. 2012. Access to primary health care: Does neighbourhood of residence matter? Annals of the Association of American Geographers doi: 10.1080/00045608.2012.685050
- S. Bell, K. Wilson, T.I. Shah, S. Gersher and T. Elliott. 2012. Investigating impacts of positional error on potential health care accessibility. Spatial and Spatio-Temporal Epidemiology 3(1), 17-29.
- K. Wilson and N. Cardwell. 2012. Urban Aboriginal health: Examining inequalities between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal populations in Canada. Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe Canadien 56(1), 98-116.
- M. Maar, N.E. Lightfoot, M.E. Sutherland, R.P. Strasser, K.J. Wilson, C.M. Lidstone-Jones, D.G. Graham, R. Beaudin, G.A. Daybutch, B.R. Dokis, M.T. Lesage, M. Raymond, and P. Williamson. 2011. Thinking outside the box: Aboriginal People’s suggestions for conducting health studies with Aboriginal communities. Public Health 125(11), 2011 747-753.
- K. Wilson, C. Boyd, L. Chen and S. Jamal. Improving student performance in a first-year geography course: Examining the importance of computer-assisted formative assessment. Computers & Education. 57(2), 1493-1500.
- K. Wilson, M. Rosenberg, and S. Abonyi. 2011. Aboriginal Peoples, Health and Healing Approaches: The Effects of Age and Place on Health. Social Science and Medicine. 72(3), 355-64
- K. Wilson, M. Rosenberg, S. Abonyi, and R. Lovelace. 2010. Aging and health: An examination of differences between older Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people. The Canadian Journal on Aging. 29(3), 369-382.
- E. Crighton, K. Wilson, and S. Senechal. 2010. The relationship between socioeconomic and geographic factors and asthma among Canada’s Aboriginal populations: an analysis of the 2001 Aboriginal People’s Survey. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 69(2), 138-150
- J. Asanin and K. Wilson. 2010. “My health has improved because I always have everything I need here…”: A qualitative exploration of health improvement and decline among immigrants. Social Science and Medicine. 70(8), 1219-1228.
- K. Wilson, J. Eyles, A. Ellaway, and S. Macintyre. 2010. Comparing health status and health behaviours in Glasgow, Scotland and Hamilton, Canada: The role of neighbourhood socioeconomic status and country context. Health and Place. 16(2), 331-338.
- G. DeVerteuil and K. Wilson. 2010. Culturally-appropriate services and spaces in the newly Aboriginal city. Geoforum. 41(3), 498-507.
- J. Eyles, K. Wilson, S. Elliott, S. Keller-Olaman, and L. Mu. 2009. What people think about the environment and its relationship to their health: Perceptions of health at difference scales of environment in Hamilton, Ontario. Local Environments. 14(1), 981-998.
- K. Wilson, J. Eyles, S. Elliott, and S. Keller-Olaman. 2009. Health in Hamilton neighbourhoods: Exploring the determinants of health at the local level. Health and Place. 15(1), 374-382.
- J. Asanin and K. Wilson. 2009. “Education? It is irrelevant to my job now, it makes me very depressed”: Exploring the health impacts of under/unemployment among highly-skilled recent immigrants in Canada. Ethnicity and Health. 14(2), 185-204.
- K. Wilson and T.K. Young. 2008. An overview of Aboriginal health research in the social sciences: Current trends and future directions. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 67(2-3), 179-189.
- J. English, K. Wilson, and S. Keller-Olaman. 2008. Health, healing and recovery: Therapeutic landscapes and the everyday lives of breast cancer survivors. Social Science & Medicine 67(1), 68-78.
- K. Wilson, J. Eyles, S. Keller-Olaman, S. Elliott, and D. Devcic. 2008. Linking social exclusion and health: Explorations in contrasting neighbourhoods in Hamilton, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Urban Research. 16(2), 126-148.
- J. Asanin and K. Wilson. 2008. “I spent nine years looking for a doctor”: Exploring access to health care among immigrants in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Social Science and Medicine. 66(6), 1271-1283.
- Poetz, J. Eyles, S. Elliott, K. Wilson, and S. Keller-Olaman. 2007. Path analysis of income, coping and health at the local level in a Canadian context. Journal of Health and Social Care in the Community, 15(6), 542-552.
- K. Wilson, S. Elliott, J. Eyles, and S. Olaman. 2007. Factors affecting change over time in self-reported health. Canadian Journal of Public Health 98(2), 2007, 154-158.
- K. Wellstood, K. Wilson, and J. Eyles. 2006. ‘Reasonable access’ to primary care: assessing the role of individual and system characteristics. Health and Place, 12(2), 121-130.
- K. Wellstood, K. Wilson, and J. Eyles. 2005. Unless you went in with your head under your arm: Patient perceptions of emergency room visits. Social Science & Medicine, 61, 2363-2373.
- K. Wilson. 2005. Ecofeminism and First Nations peoples in Canada: Linking culture, gender and nature. Gender, Place, and Culture, 12(3), 333-355.
- K. Wilson and E. Peters. 2005. ‘You can make a place for it.’ Remapping urban Aboriginal spaces of identity” Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 23(3), 395-413.
- S. Keller-Olaman, J. Eyles, S. Elliott, K. Wilson, N. Dostrovsky, and M. Jerrett. 2005. Individual and neighbourhood characteristics associated with environmental exposure: Exploring relationships at home and work in a Canadian city. Environment & Behavior, 37, 441-464.
- M. Law, K. Wilson, J. Eyles, S. Elliott, M. Jerrett T. Moffatt, and I. Luginaah. 2005. Meeting health need, accessing health care: the role of neighbourhood. Health and Place,11 (4), pp. 367-377.
- S. Birch, M. Jerrett, K. Wilson, M. Law, S. Elliott, and J. Eyles. 2005. Heterogeneities in the production of health: Smoking, health status, and place. Health Policy, 72(3), pp. 301-310.
- K. Wilson, S. Elliott, M. Law, J. Eyles, M. Jerrett, and S. Olaman. 2004. Linking perceptions of neighbourhood to health in Hamilton, Canada. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 58(3), pp.192-198.
- K. Wilson, and M. Rosenberg. 2004. Accessibility and the Canadian health care system: Squaring perceptions and realities. Health Policy 67, pp.137-148.
- K. Wilson. 2003. Therapeutic landscapes and First Nations Peoples: An exploration of culture, health and place. Health and Place 9(2), pp.83-93.
- K. Wilson and M.W. Rosenberg. 2002. The geographies of crisis: Exploring accessibility to health care in Canada. The Canadian Geographer 46(3), pp.223-234.
- K. Wilson and M.W. Rosenberg. 2002. Exploring the determinants of health for First Nations Peoples in Canada: Can existing frameworks accommodate traditional activities? Social Science and Medicine 55(11), pp.2017-2031.
- M.W. Rosenberg and K. Wilson. 2001. Exploring the connections between health and housing: The limitations of population health surveys GeoJournal 53(2), pp.109-116.
- K. Wilson, M. Jerrett, and J. Eyles. 2001. Testing relationships among determinants of health, health policy and self-assessed health status in Québec, Canada International Journal of Health Services 31(1), pp.67-89.
- M.W. Rosenberg and K. Wilson. 2000. Gender, poverty and location: how much difference do they make in the geography of health inequalities? Social Science and Medicine 51(2) , pp.275-287.
- T. Garvin and K. Wilson. 1999. The use of storytelling for understanding women’s desires to tan: Lessons from the field The Professional Geographer 51(2) 1999, pp.296-306.
- C. Richmond, K. Wilson. 2011. La santé des peuples autochtones. Chapter 6 in Fleuret, S. and Hoyez, A-C (Eds) Géographie de la Santé, un Autre Panorama. Editions Economica-Anthropos, Paris.
- J. Eyles, K. Wilson and J. Messina. 2007. Physical and social dimensions of environmental concern in Hamilton, Ontario. In T.D. Lekkas (Ed.), Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean Press, Athens, 357-62.
- J. Eyles, K. Wilson, S. Keller-Olaman, and S. Elliott. 2006. Community in the City? Social exclusion in neighbourhoods in Hamilton, Ontario. In U. Mander, C.A. Brebbia, E. Tiezza (Eds.), The Sustainable City. Boston: WIT Press. pp.733-742.
- J. Eyles, S. Keller-Olaman, and K. Wilson. 2005. Environmental disadvantage and housing and neighbourhood quality in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In T.D. Lekkas (Ed.), Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Environmental Science Technology, University of the Aegean, Rhodes, pp. 376-383. )
- S. Birch, M. Jerrett, K. Wilson, M. Law, S. Elliott, and J. Eyles. 2003. Heterogeneities in the production of health: Smoking, health status and place. In S. Birch, J.F.P. Bridges, and G.T. Papanilos (Eds.), Issues of Health Economics and Health Management Athens: Athens Institute for Education and Research, pp.13-27.
- S. Elliott, J. Eyles, S. Olaman, and K. Wilson. 2003. Adverse health impacts of the environment: implications for environmental management. In E. Tiezzi et al. (Eds.), Ecosystems and Sustainable Development Volume 1 Boston: WIT Press, pp.275-284.
Cities and Everyday Life