Holly Croft, Post Doctoral Fellow
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
PhD Physical Geography, University of Exeter, UK (2010)
MSc Environmental Monitoring, Modeling and Reconstruction, University of Manchester (2006)
BSc (Hons) Physical Geography, University of Manchester, UK (2002)
Office: 100 St. George St., SS 5047
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4S 3G3
Personal Website: http://hollycroft.weebly.com/
- Remote sensing
- Spatial statistics
- Plant ecophysiology
- Leaf biochemistry
- Carbon cycle
My research is focussed on applied remote sensing and spatial analysis for modelling and understanding terrestrial environmental processes. I am specifically interested in forested ecosystems and soil science and take an inter-disciplinary approach to understanding these systems, which combines field observations, laboratory analysis along with remote sensing technologies and GIS. My work uses a range of remotely-sensed data, from laser systems, ground-based field spectroradiometers, airborne imagery and space-borne satellites.
28. Chou, S. Chen, J.M. Yu, H. Chen, B. Zhang, X. Croft, H. Khalid, S. Li, M. (Submitted) Canopy-level photochemical reflectance index from hyperspectral remote sensing and leaf-level non-photochemical quenching as early indicators of water stress in maize
27. Luo, X. Croft. H. Chen, J.M. Bartlett, P. Staebler, R. Froelich, N. (Submitted) Incorporating leaf chlorophyll content into a terrestrial biosphere model for estimating carbon and water fluxes at a forest site.
26. He, L. Chen, J.M. Liu, J. Luo, X. Chen, B. Mo, G. Belair, S. Croft, H. (Submitted) A Parallel Package for Data Assimilation of Soil Moisture into a Land Surface Model.
25. Luo, X. Chen, J.M. Liu, J. Black, T.A. Croft, H. Staebler, R. He, L. Altaf Arain, M.A. Chen, B. Mo, G. Gonsamo, A. McCaughey H. (Submitted) Upscaling from leaf to canopy using a two-leaf scheme for evapotranspiration estimation using coupled carbon-water modelling.
24. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Luo, X. Bartlett, P. Chen, B. Staebler, R. (2017) Leaf chlorophyll content as a proxy for leaf photosynthetic capacity. Global Change Biology
23. Dong, T. Liu, J. Qian, B. Jing, Q. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Wang, J. Huffman, T. Shang, J. Chen, P. (2016) Deriving Maximum Light Use Efficiency From Crop Growth Model and Satellite Data to Improve Crop Biomass Estimation. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 10(1), 104-117.
22. Chen, B. Arain, M.A. Chen, J.M. Croft, H. Grant, RF. Kurz, W.A. Bernier, P. Guindon, L. Price, D. Wanf, Z. (2016) Evaluating the impacts of climate variability and cutting and insect defoliation on the historical carbon dynamics of a boreal black spruce forest landscape in eastern Canada. Ecological Modelling 321, 98-109
21. Chen, B. Liu, J. Chen, J.M. Croft, H. Gonsamo, A. He, L. Luo, X. (2016) Assessment of foliage clumping effects on evapotranspiration estimates in forested ecosystems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 216, 82-92
20. He, L. Liu, J. Chen, J.M. Croft, H. Wang, R. Sprintsin, M. Zheng, T. Ryu, Y. Pisek, J. Gonsamo, A. Deng, F. and Zhang, Y. (2016) Inter-and intra-annual variations of clumping index derived from the MODIS BRDF product. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 44, 53-60.
19. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Froelich, N. Chen, B. and Staebler, R.M (2015) Seasonal controls of canopy chlorophyll content on forest carbon uptake: Implications for GPP modelling. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 120 (8), 1576-1586
18. Froelich, N. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Gonsamo, A. and Staebler, R.M (2015) Trends of carbon, water and energy fluxes over a mixed temperate–boreal transition forest in southern Ontario, Canada. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 211, 72-84
17. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Zhang, Y. Simic, A. Noland, T. and Nesbitt, N. (2015) Evaluating leaf chlorophyll content prediction from multispectral remote sensing data within a physically-based modelling framework. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 102, 85-95
16. Conghe, S. Chen, J.M. Hwang, T. Gonsamo, A. Croft, H. Zhang, Q. Dannenbery, M. Zhang, Y. Hakkenberg, C. and Li, J. (2015) Ecological characterization if vegetation using multi-sensor remote sensing in the solar reflective spectrum. In: Thenkabail (Ed.) Remote Sensing Handbook.
15. Gonsamo, A. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Wu, C. and Staebler, R.M. (2015). Radiation contributed more than temperature to increased decadal autumn and annual carbon uptake of two eastern North America mature forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 201: 8-16
14. He, L. Chen, J.M. Liu, J. Mo, G. Bélair, S. Zheng, T. Wang, R. Chen, B. Croft, H. Arain, A. and Barr, A.G. (2014) Optimization of water uptake and photosynthetic parameters in an ecosystem model using tower flux data. Ecological Modelling, 294: 94-104
13. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. and Zhang, Y. (2014) Temporal disparity in leaf chlorophyll content and leaf area index across a growing season in a temperate deciduous forest. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 33: 312-320
12. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. and Noland, T. (2014) Stand age effects on Boreal forest physiology using a long time-series of satellite data. Forest Ecology and Management, 328: 202-208
11. Croft, H. Anderson, K. and Kuhn, N.J. (2014) Evaluating the influence of surface soil moisture and soil surface roughness on optical directional reflectance factors. European Journal of Soil Science, 65(4): 605-612
10. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. and Zhang, Y. (2014) The applicability of empirical vegetation indices for determining leaf chlorophyll content over different leaf and canopy structures. Ecological Complexity, 17: 119-130
9. Simic, A. Chen, J.M. Leblanc, S. Dyk, A. Croft, H. and Han, T. (2014) Testing the top-down model inversion method of estimating leaf reflectance used to retrieve vegetation biochemical content within empirical approaches. IEEE, 7(1): 92-104
8. Croft, H. Chen, J.M. Zhang, Y. and Simic, A. (2013) Modelling leaf chlorophyll content in broadleaf and needle leaf canopies from ground, CASI, Landsat TM 5 and MERIS reflectance data. Remote sensing of Environment, 113: 128–140
7. Croft, H. Anderson, K. Brazier, R.E. and Kuhn, N.J. (2013) Modelling fine-scale soil surface structure using geostatistics. Water Resources Research, 49(4): 1858-1870
6. Croft, H. Kuhn, N.J. and Anderson, K. (2012) On the use of remote sensing techniques for monitoring spatio-temporal soil organic carbon dynamics in agricultural systems. Catena, 94: 64-74
5. Anderson, K. Croft, H. Milton, E.J. and Kuhn, N.J. (2012) A simple spectro-goniometer for collection of multiple view angle reflectance factors. Remote Sensing Letters, 3(2): 131-140
4. Croft, H. Anderson, K. and Kuhn, N.J. (2012) Reflectance anisotropy for measuring soil surface roughness of multiple soil types. Catena, 93: 87-96
3. Anderson, K. and Croft, H. (2010) Remote sensing approaches for soil erosion monitoring. Developing a cost-effective framework for monitoring soil erosion in England and Wales. DEFRA, pp 25
2. Anderson, K. and Croft, H. (2009) Remote sensing of soil surface properties. Progress in Physical Geography, 33(4): 457–473
1. Croft, H. Anderson, K. and Kuhn, N.J. (2009) Characterising soil surface roughness using a combined structural and spectral approach. European Journal of Soil Science, 60(3): 431-442
Climate Processes and Climate and Carbon Cycle Modelling