Don Boyes, Associate Professor Teaching Stream
U of T St. George
University of Western Ontario (1999)
M.Sc. University of Western Ontario (1991)
B.Sc. Queen's University (1989)
Honours & Awards:
Canadian Association of Geographers Award for Excellence in Teaching Geography (2015)
President's Teaching Award (2014)
Faculty of Arts and Science Outstanding Teaching Award (2008)
APUS-SAC Undergraduate Teaching Award (2001)
Dean's Excellence Award (2003-2006, 2009-2016)
Fellow, Royal Canadian Geographical Society (2011)
Phone: (416) 978-1585
Fax: (416) 946-3886
Location: Room 5011, Sidney Smith Hall (100 St. George Street)
Personal Website: http://donboyes.com/
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Teaching with technology, online and blended learning
- Information technology in higher education
Teaching This Academic Year:
GGR272 Geographic Information and Mapping I
GGR373 Advanced GIS
JPG1906 Geographic Information Systems (graduate course)
GGR272 Geographic Information and Mapping I (note: this course is taught online)
GGR273 Geographic Information and Mapping II
GGR462 GIS Research Project (concurrently taught as JPG1914 graduate course)
- Haas, Barbara, Aristithes Doumouras, David Gomez, Charles de Mestral, Donald M Boyes, Laurie Morrison, and Avery Nathens. 2015. “Close to Home: An Analysis of the Relationship Between Location of Residence and Location of Injury.” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 78 (4): 860-865.
- Doumouras, Aristithes G, David Gomez, Barbara Haas, Donald M Boyes, and Avery B Nathens. 2012. Comparing Methodologies for Evaluating Emergency Medical Services Ground Transport Access to Time-critical Emergency Services: A Case Study Using Trauma Center Care. Academic Emergency Medicine: Official Journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine 19 (9) (September): E1099–108.
- Doumouras, Aristithes G, Barbara Haas, David Gomez, Charles de Mestral, Donald M Boyes, Laurie J Morrison, Alan M Craig, and Avery B Nathens. 2012. The Impact of Distance on Triage to Trauma Center Care in an Urban Trauma System. Prehospital Emergency Care: Official Journal of the National Association of EMS Physicians and the National Association of State EMS Directors 16 (4): 456–62.
- Gomez, David, Barbara Haas, Aristithes G Doumouras, Brandon Zagorski, Joel Ray, Gordon Rubenfeld, Barry A. McLellan, Donald M Boyes, and Avery B Nathens. 2013. A Population-based Analysis of the Discrepancy Between Potential and Realized Access to Trauma Center Care. Annals of Surgery 257 (1) (January): 160–5.
- Boyes, Donald M. 2012. Course Design Institute Case Study: GGR272 Geographic Information and Mapping I, Centre for Teaching Support and Innovation website, July, 2012.
- Boyes, Donald M. 2011. GeoDesign as a Teaching Concept, V1 Magazine, Nov. 18, 2011.
- Boyes, Donald M. 2011. Engaging New GIS Students with Web Mapping, V1 Magazine, Aug. 16, 2011.
- Boyes, Donald M. 2011. How Do We Reach and Teach Casual GIS Users?, V1 Magazine, May 15, 2011.
- Is it live, online, or both?, Colloquium speaker series, Department of Geography, York University, February 26, 2016.
- Welcome to my classroom, University of Toronto Teaching and Learning Symposium (invited), Toronto, Nov. 3, 2014.
- Is it live, online or both? Teaching strategies for the new digital classroom, co-presenter with Franco Taverna, University of Toronto Teaching and Learning Symposium (peer reviewed), Toronto, Oct. 28, 2013.
- Journeys: Mapping the World from a Laptop, co-presenter with Barbara Murck and Andrew Nicholson, University of Toronto Teaching and Learning Symposium (peer reviewed), Toronto, Oct. 28, 2013.
- Giving students choices about when and where they learn: teaching GIS both online and in person, GIS in Education Conference (peer reviewed), Toronto, Oct. 17, 2013.
- Opportunities in GIS education: meeting the needs of students, panel member with Bob Sharpe, James Boxall, Mark Lowry, and Kim Wallace, GIS in Education Conference (by invitation), Toronto, Oct. 17, 2013.
- Online Learning – Beyond Content to “Aha moments” for Both Faculty and Students, panel member with Laurie Harrison, Steve Joordens, and Shafique Virani. University of Toronto Teaching and Learning Symposium, (peer reviewed), Nov. 5, 2012, Toronto.
- Inside, Outside, Upside Down: New Directions in Teaching and Learning, co-presenter with Lena Paolo Kushnir and Kenneth Berry. University of Toronto Teaching and Learning Symposium (peer reviewed), Nov. 5, 2012, Toronto.
- GIS in Higher Education, panel member with Joseph Berry, David Buckley, Andrew Lyszkiewicz, GeoTec Event (invited), Toronto, April 13-15, 2010.
- Farrah Nasser, 2016, July 27. Interviewed for story “Pokémon Lessons”, Global News at 5:30.
- Needleman, Sarah E., 2016, July 13. ‘Pokémon Go’ Craze Raises Safety Issues, The Wall Street Journal.
- Pasca, T., 2015, Jan. 14. From Notebook to Netbook: A Look at How Technology is Being Incorporated into Academic Settings, The Varsity, under Features.
- Mansour, T., 2014, Nov. 10. U of T logs in to Ontario Online, The Varsity, vol. CXXXV, No. 10, under News.
- 2014, May, Using the Geospatial Technology Competency Model to Align Curricula with Workforce Needs, Case Summary, CareerOneStop, U.S. Department of Labor.
- Elias, Christine, 2014, May 14. President’s Teaching Award: Don Boyes, U of T News.
- Lu, Vanessa. 2011, Aug. 19. Map publishers facing a rough road, Toronto Star.