Amrita Daniere , Professor
Vice-Dean, Graduate (UTM)
U o f T Mississauga
Harvard University (1990)
MPP Harvard University (1984)
BA Dartmouth College (1981)
Phone: (416) 978-3236 (St. George Campus)
Phone: 905-828-3862 (UTM Campus)
Location: DV 3200C (UTM)
Mailing Address: DV 3285 (UTM)
Personal Website: http://geography.utoronto.ca/amrita-daniere/
- Infrastructure provision in developing-country cities (including water and sanitation services, housing, solid waste collection and disposal, and transportation)
- Policy and planning from a politica-economy perspective in urban areas of the Global South
- Climate-change adaptation and resilience
Teaching This Academic Year:
St. George Campus
PLA1106 – Workshop in Planning Practice (with K. Rankin)
GGR345 – Environmental Issues in the Developing World
ENV232 – Environmental Sustainability Practicum (with A. Iwaniw)
- Daniere A., Berquist M., and Drummond L. Planning for Global Environmental Change in Bangkok’s Informal Settlements, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management (forthcoming).
- Daniere A., Levkoe C., and Brail S. Engaged pedagogy and transformative learning in graduate education: a service learning case study, Canadian Journal of Higher Education (forthcoming).
- Daniere A., Carpenter J., and Takahashi L. 2006. Space, Trust and Communal Action: Results from Field Experiments in Southeast Asia, Journal of Regional Science 46 (4), 681-705.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L., NaRanong A. and Van Lan T.N. 2005. Social Capital and Urban Environments in Southeast Asia: Lessons from Settlements in Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City, International Development Planning Review 27 (1), 21-58.
- Daniere A., Carpenter J. and Takahashi L. 2004.Cooperation, Trust and Social Capital in Southeast Asian Urban Slums, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 55, 533-551.
- Daniere A., Carpenter J., and Takahashi L. 2004. Social Capital and Trust in Southeast Asian Cities, Urban Studies 41(4), 853-874.
- Daniere A., NaRanong A. and Takahashi L. 2002. Social Capital, Networks and Community Environments in Bangkok, Thailand, Growth and Change 33, 453- 483.
- Daniere A. 2001. Canadian Urbanism and Jane Jacobs, Journal of Urban Affairs 22, 459-461.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 2000. Public Policy and Human Dignity: Environmental Policies and Human Values in Bangkok, Policy Sciences 32, 247-268.
- Daniere A. 2000 Sustainable Urbanization in Megacities: The Role of Nonmotorized Transportation, Transportation Research Record (1695) 2000. National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 26-33.
- Daniere A., Lois Takahashi. 1999. Environmental Behavior in Bangkok, Thailand: A Portrait of Attitudes, Values and Behavior, Economic Development and Cultural Change 47, 525-557.
- Daniere A. 1999. More and Better Credit: Housing Policy Reform in Bolivia, International Planning Studies 4, 29-51.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 1999. Poverty and Access: Differences and Commonalties across Slum Communities in Bangkok, Habitat International 23, 271-288.
- Daniere A., Crane R., and Harwood S. 1997. The Contribution of Environmental Amenities to Low-income Housing: A Comparative Study of Bangkok and Jakarta, Urban Studies 34, 1495-1512.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 1997. Environmental Policy in Thailand: Values, Attitudes and Behavior among the Slum Dwellers of Bangkok, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 15, 305-327.
- Daniere A. 1996. Growth, Inequality and Poverty in South-east Asia: The Case of Thailand, Third World Planning Review 18, 373-396. This paper was reprinted in a Vietnamese book (Ngheo Do Thi edited by Ngo Van Le, Michael Leaf and Nguyen Minh Hoa) published through Ho Chi Minh City University Press. The volume is designed to bring useful papers in English language scholarship on conceptualizing and addressing issues of urban poverty to a Vietnamese readership.
- Daniere A., Crane R. 1996. Measuring Access to Basic Services in Global Cities: Descriptive and Behavioral Approaches, Journal of the American Planning Association 62, 203-221.
- Daniere A. 1995. Transportation Planning and Implementation in Cities of the Third World: The Case of Bangkok, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 13 1995, 25-45.
Transportation Planning and Implementation in Cities of the Third World: The Case of Bangkok, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 13, 25-45.
- Daniere A. 1994. Estimating Willingness-to-Pay for Housing Attributes: An Application to Cairo and Manila, Regional Science and Urban Economics 24, 577-599.
- Daniere A. 1992. Determinants of Tenure Choice in the Third World: An Empirical Study of Cairo and Manila, Journal of Housing Economics 2, 159-184.
- Daniere A. and Hy Van Luong. 2012. Vibrant societies and social capital in Asia,” in Amrita Daniere and Van Luong H. (eds.), The Dynamics of Social Capital and Civic Engagement in Asia, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, 1-24.
- Daniere A., NaRanong A. 2008. “Tangible and intangible civic spaces in Bangkok’s slums,” in Amrita Daniere and Mike Douglas (eds.), The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, 72-92.
- Daniere A., Douglas M. 2008. “Urbanization and civic space in Asia,” in Amrita Daniere and Mike Douglas (eds.), The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities , Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, pp. 1-18.
- Daniere A., Douglas M. 2008. “Policy implications and conclusions,” in Amrita Daniere and Mike Douglas (eds.), The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, pp. 197-211
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 2008. “Decentralization and social capital in urban Thailand,” in Decentralization and the Planning Process, Victoria Beard, Faranak Miraftab and Chris Silver (eds.), Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, pp.67-81.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 2002.”Social networks, social capital and community governance: Environmental management in Bangkok’s slums,” in Social Capital and Economic Development: Well-Being in Developing Countries, Jonathan Isham, Thomas Kelly and Sundar Ramaswamy (eds.), Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK, pp.176-196.
- Daniere A., Gomez-Ibanez J.A. 2002. “Environmental and communications infrastructure in Chile,” in Chile: The Political Economy of Urban Development, John Meyer and Edward Glaeser (ed.), Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, pp. 185-224.
- Daniere A. and Van Luong H. eds 2012. The Dynamics of Social Capital and Civic Engagement in Asia, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK.
- Daniere A. and Douglas M. eds. 2008. The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK.
- Daniere A., Takahashi L. 2002. Rethinking Environmental Management in the Pacific Rim: Exploring Local Participation in Bangkok, Thailand, Ashgate Publishing Ltd., Aldershot UK , 170 pages.
Cities and Everyday Life, Nature, Society and Environmental Change