Am I required to submit transcripts from post-secondary programs I have not completed or which are in different disciplines?
YES. Transcripts are required for all post-secondary institutions attended (even if programs were not completed or are in progress).

Do I need to mail the department official transcripts from all of the post-secondary institutions attended?
For the purposes of the application, a scanned copy of the transcript must be uploaded to the online application by the applicant. A printed official transcript is required ONLY if you get admitted, in which case we will contact you and request that you send your official transcript/s. Applicants who attended universities outside North America must provide notarized English translations to accompany all foreign documentation not written in English or French. Academic records must be enclosed in an envelope provided by the institution(s) and sealed or signed across the back of the envelope. Faxed and photocopied records are not considered official. Documents will not be returned to the applicant.

Can I provide more than three reference letters?
We will only accept three reference letters from referees listed on your online application. Additional letters will not be reviewed.

Are there reference letter forms?
The Department of Geography and Planning does not have special forms for the reference letters. Once you have confirmed your application information by moving to payment, the system will email your referees and ask them to provide references. They will be asked to submit an electronic copy of the reference in Word or PDF after logging in to the online application through a link the School of Graduate Studies will provide. If, in the rare case that your referee does not have email, you may collect the letter and submit together with your transcripts. The letter should be written on institutional letterhead. Ask your referee to provide you with the letter of reference in a sealed envelope, signed across the seal. Include the sealed and signed references when submitting your application. Do not open the envelope(s). Letters of reference will be part of the official student academic record. They are confidential and applicants/ students will not have access to them.

How can I change one of my references?
References can only be changed by the university. Send an email to the department with the following information and we can change the reference for you: (a) name of referee to be removed (b) name and contact information of new referee (university, telephone and email), and (c) their relationship to you (e.g. former professor, master’s supervisor, internship supervisor, etc.).

Can I provide additional materials (copies of publications, etc.)?
No. The admissions committee will only review the application documents outlined in the instructions. We do not review any additional materials.

Do I upload my supporting documents before I pay the application fee?
NO. You cannot upload documents until after you have completed the form and paid the application fee. This also includes letters of recommendation. Your referees will receive an electronic invitation to submit an academic reference in support of your application only once the application fee has been paid.

I have previously submitted an application/I have applied to more than one program – can the department reuse previously submitted reference letters or other supporting documents toward my current application?
No. Applicants must submit new supporting documents, including reference letters, for each application.

Do you require GRE scores?
No. GRE scores are not required or reviewed if submitted.

When will I hear if I have been accepted?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with offers going out through late February and March. If necessary some offers may go out in April.

Other questions?
For answers to other frequently asked questions about the application process, please see the School of Graduate Studies’ FAQ page for Prospective Applicants or contact us by email.