- This event has passed.
Negotiating Against Expensification
March 1 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Troy Budhu (Toronto Community Benefits Network)
- Mimi Lau (Golden Mile Impact Project)
- Emily Paradis (Build a Better Bloor-Dufferin)
- Mercedes Sharpe Zayas (Parkdale People’s Economy)
- Clara Stewart-Robertson (Jane Finch Centre)
With city plans for intensification near ‘higher-order’ transit, redevelopment pressure is directed to streets with existing commercial and residential affordability. We’ve invited community workers and activists to share strategies for negotiating benefits and affordability in transit-oriented redevelopments. Focusing on four hotspots – Eglinton’s Golden Mile, Bloor and Dufferin, Parkdale, and Finch West – we consider the potential and limitations of securing affordability for existing residents and newcomers alike through a development-driven approach to community benefits.