GIS & Cartography Office
What can we do for you? The mandate of the GIS and Cartography Office is to provide Geographic Information System (GIS) and mapping support for teaching and research in the Department of Geography and Program in Planning. Department faculty, staff or students are invited to contact us or drop by at any time to consult on GIS and cartographic needs. We are located in the basement of Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George St., Room 617a.
In addition, Cartographic Services and GIS Consultation are available for other clients inside and outside the University community.
Map design for publications, wall maps, or atlases
Map design for the web, using open source or proprietory methods
GIS processing including data entry, manipulation, or spatial analysis
For other services, including large format poster printing, see below.
Faculty and Graduate Students: If you are preparing a research proposal, we are happy to provide, without charge:
- Assistance in determining how GIS can facilitate your research
- Advice on maps to illustrate your results for submission to publications
- An estimate of cost should you wish to include a line for Cartographic or GIS services in your proposed budget
For further information contact:
|Byron Moldofsky, Manager
The GIS and Cartography Office, Department of Geography
100 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3
Phone: (416) 978-3378 Fax: (416) 946-3886
No charge for general consultation!
If contracted for work, rates are:
- Department members: $80 per hour
- External clients: $100 per hour
For specific projects an agreement may be negotiated for overall cost rather than hourly rates.
More about the GIS and Cartography Office
- Collaborative research projects
- GIS and Cartography Office Data Collections
- Cartography and GIS Technical Paper Series
- The Past and the Future
- Cartography links
Large format poster printing
The GIS and Cartography Office houses an HP DesignJet 800 large format colour printer. For printing large maps or posters see our guidelines: